Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Types of Habitats

*****
Before I start the current topic, I have a couple notes to make.

The first one.

These topics that I am writing are unedited. I am a discovery writer and I start at the beginning and go to the end. I then turn back to beginning and start editing my work. My work changes 50% to 75% from what the first draft started as.

These blog posts don't have that polish. I apologize for any inconveniences that it may cause.

Number Two.

I am not an English Teacher. I had a hard time with English class. My English 12 teacher told me, straight up, that I am not a writer. I do not have the spelling capabilities to be one and that I should stop trying. I tell her now to go frak herself and I keep writing.

I have an auto-spell and grammar checker. If it doesn't show up with a little red line underneath it saying that there is an error, I don't catch it on the first pass. That's what my edits (which I am not doing on these posts) are also for.

I tell stories, not literary pieces. I entertain, I don't show off my extensive grasp of the English Language and my ability to stretch it to my will.

That is all. Now back to your original blog post. Cheers.

*****

In my last couple blog posts, I have talked briefly about the different aspects of my world. My world is a unique and inter-connected place. It is hard to only talk about one topic without having to talk about another. There may be times that you may get confused at a post because I haven't explained something in great detail yet. Please let me know so I can do a post on it.

This world has been two years in the making and it is not done yet. There are still topics that I haven't even thought to cover, and a lot of topics to talk about.

Some examples of different topics. Mars and Venus still aren't done yet. There are aspects of these planets to tell. The mole people of Mars. Venosaurs. Space Colonies. Asteroid Mines. Economy. Teraforming and it's boom. The Jovian League. Politics of the System. I could go on.

Today, however, I am going to talk about the different types of habitats that people live in.

Not everyone lives on a planet. Actually, most people exist is steel and plastic structures of some kind. I am not going to give numbers as to how many people live in what. It is hard at this point to come up with realistic numbers. I may have some later on.

Terraformed Surface/ Earth-Like.

This habitat is like we live in now on this planet we call home. Each culture or even planets will have a different architecture type. Some places people are squished into little areas, while others they are spread out over vast areas. The main thing is that the houses themselves have little, if any, environmental controls. In other words, they are not pressurized to survive the void of space.

These planets or moons, like Mars, you can walk around on the surface with out a space suit. You can grow crops on the surface and fly kites in the wind. The wind, the rain, the sleet and snow are not artificially created. Man has no control over the weather. Even though, sometimes, he wishes that he does.

Examples of Terraformed Surface Habitats: Earth, Mars, Callisto.

Semi-Terraformed Surface.

This habitat is in the process of being terraformed. The Planet has enough surface pressure and/or oxygen to have a partial environmental structures. Most likely each house will have its own airlock of some kind. The environment, however, won't be safe for human habitation without any safety protection.

In this future, only the planet Venus qualifies for this spot.

Underground Surface.

This habitat is on a planet or moon. For some reason, the planet surface has no capability to be terraformed. Either they failed or never tried. Underground surface habitats is very common. Way more common than any terraformed planets or moons.

Places like Europa, where the entire surface is made up of ice, has giant cities capable of housing millions of people. The cities are built under the surface of the ice. Or Mercury, where the planet is either super hot or super cold. Where there are no actual cities, but giant underground mines/ prisons. Where the inmates mine for ore in order to get fed that night. Even dwarf planet's like Ceres are considered n Underground Surface Habitat.

Any planet or moon that has no atmosphere has structures built underground. The reasons for it will be covered in another post, but lets just say that it is easier and safer. Underground surface habitats use the planet or moons own gravity. There is too big of an area to cover to have an artificial system cover the entire planet. This issue will be covered in another blog post.

Examples of Underground Surface Habitat. Mercury, Europa, Ganymede, Io, Ceres, Lunar.

Roid Stations

Roid Stations are habitats that are built into the side of an asteroid. Small moons like Phobos (Moon of Mars) are a Roid Station.

Most asteroids or small moons could be placed into the Underground Surface category as there structures are built under the surface, but as they use an artificial gravity machine they are not. They can be science stations, military posts, pirate bases, trading posts, but they all start out as a mine.

The asteroid's innards are mined out by miners. The outer shell is left over, it is then sold to someone else, who uses what structure it has left to build a station inside it.

Space Colonies

Space Colonies are giant steel cylinders of some shape. They rotate creating an artificial gravity on the inside of the cylinder. Imagine a bucket filled up with water in it. Now imagine it spinning around in a circle. The water will stay to the bottom of the buckets as the spinning creates a gravity-like force which keeps it there.

They are safer to live in than a Roid, and with the large space that is left open, it mimics Earth. It mimics Earth to a point that makes it easy for Humans to adapt to living in its steel walls.

These colonies are placed in various places. They usually placed in large clusters either around the various Legrange Points or around the busier transportation routes.

There are millions of these colonies scattered around the inner solar system and around Jupiter.

Hives.

A hive is like a Space Colony. Actually it is exactly like a space colony except for no open space above the cylinder walls. A hive can hold up to ten times the numbers as a standard colony does. They do this by having the open space filled with decks and people.

Hives were built by the Terra Entente to house its excess population from emigrating away from Earth and Immigrating to one of its many enemies.

Space Station

A space station is exactly that the name implies. It is a structure built to float in space attached to nothing. It uses an artificial gravity system instead of spinning and is usually too small for spinning the station to have any effect in the first place. Like a Roid Station, most of them are the same.

I hope that these categories gives you all a general outlook on what my space world looks like.

Leave a comment.

Share this post.

Follow my blog.

Let me know how I am doing.

Cheers.

No comments: