Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 1, 2012

History of Venus- Venosaurs

So it has been a while since my last post. And I did promise to get more written in this blog.

No I don't have any excuses. I haven't gotten much farther in my story. I am still about half way through editing it.

The problem. Skyrim. My wife thought to reward my hard efforts with such a wonderful gift. She also got me the Firefly Season and the follow up movie Serenity. As research I assure you. She also got my the Writers Market 2012 so that I can get my work out there.

Back to the problem, I have very little free time to myself. Work, 2 kids, a wife, sleep. They take up most of my time. I usually end up sacrificing a little on the sleep category to get my writing done.

Skyrim is such a good game that it defenestrated the writing part of my day and soon started to threaten the later two categories with a big stick. If only I was getting paid to write, then I'd have more time to play that awesome game.

Now to my story of the future.

Venus, as I explained in my earlier post, was terraformed by building large flying cities. There soul purpose was to extract the carbon from it's atmosphere and to ship it off planet. Usually to Mars.

That process slowly lowered the atmospheric pressure and temperature of the planet to something more reasonable.

Venus is not that much hotter than Earth due to its proximity to the sun. It is slightly hotter, but not by much. It is hotter because of its thick Carbon Dioxide atmosphere. The carbon acts as a green house effect keeping the heat in. Removing the carbon solves that problem.

This process takes them hundred of years. It is not a fast process. If Mars wasn't buying the carbon, it wouldn't have happened. It was the other planets in the solar system that wanted to build up an atmosphere that kept the Venus Project alive.

Mars, of course was eventually terraformed to the point where it didn't need the extra carbon, but then the Moon's of Jupiter started there terraforming projects and bought the carbon.

About seventy-five years before the current date, Venus's atmosphere plateaued. The temperature stopped at 75 degrees Celcius and the pressure stopped at about 1.8 bars. Both too low to kill humans outright, but still too high to be comfortable.

The lower temperature meant that water could start to form on the surface. It was mined off from a nearby asteroid. Seas and rivers formed with normal weather patterns forming as well.

Once the pressure and the temperature started to get close to a good range, the scientists started to see if they could get some plants and animals to populate the surface.

For years they tried, genetically altering scores of different species to attempt and get something to work. They had huge success with getting tropical jungle plants to grow, but had no success with anything mammal. Insects, reptiles, fish all grew and spread like wildfire.

One scientist, seeing that reptiles were thriving on the planet, expanded there species list to fill out the food chain on the planet. Some very small, some very large.

So Venus, in the current time, his a hot planet with a very small human presence on the surface. It consists mostly of thugs, bandits, rebels. Some scientists have a base or two there, but most law-abiding people live on the cities above the ground. The planet surface consists of an infestation of very large dinosaurs, or Venosaurs as I have dubbed them.

That's all that I have for today.

Until next time.

Cheers.

No comments: